Tour the Meyer May House
Designed by Frank Lloyd Wright in 1908 for a prominent Grand Rapids Clothier, the Meyer May House was purchased by Steelcase Inc. in 1985, meticulously restored and opened to the public in 1987. Today, complete with original furnishings and faithfully executed reproductions, the Meyer May house provides the rare opportunity to experience a Prairie house exactly as Frank Lloyd Wright intended.
The Steelcase and Frank Lloyd Wright connection began in 1936 when Steelcase was contracted to manufacture Wright-designed furniture for the Johnson Wax Administration Building in Racine, Wisconsin. In honor of that collaboration, the Meyer May House is owned and maintained by Steelcase today.
Online reservations are required for admission to the House. There is no charge to tour the house and view the film, The Renewing of a Vision. Please allow 90 minutes to enjoy the complete experience.
Explore the restoration of the Meyer May House online through our galleries and web pages.
Schedule a Tour
Visit the Meyer May house at:
450 Madison Avenue SE, Grand Rapids, MI 49503
Free on-street parking is available on Logan Street and on Madison Avenue.
- Sundays from 12pm–3pm
- Tuesdays & Thursdays from 10am-1pm
- Closed on Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays, and Saturdays
- The House is open to the public with online reservations only.
- Please review 2023 Closed Dates* & Weather Notice** before planning your visit.
Reservations and Group Visits
- At this time, we can only accommodate groups of 8 or less.
- Reservations for up to 8 can be made through our online booking system.
- Guests may cancel their reservations at anytime using the link in the tour booking confirmation letter.
- Cancelled reservations are automatically made available as open tickets by the system.
Accommodations and Accessibility
- The Meyer May House is a historical building and provides wheelchair accessibility to the Visitor’s Center and the main floor of the Meyer May House. The upper floor is only accessible via stairs.
- Strollers are not allowed into the House.
- The office is not staffed during closed hours. Please leave a message or contact us through our Contact Us option.
*2023 closed dates include Easter Sunday (April 9), Mother’s Day (May 14), Memorial Day Weekend (May 28), Father’s Day (June 18), Independence Day (July 4), Labor Day Weekend (September 4), Thanksgiving (November 23), Christmas Eve (December 24), New Years Eve (December 31).
**Closings due to Weather: During the winter months, the Meyer May House will be closed when Grand Rapids Public Schools is closed due to bad weather and driving conditions (not COVID-related). Please watch WOODTV8, WZZM TV13 and Fox 17 for closing announcements.