Tour the Meyer May House
Initially designed for a prominent Grand Rapids clothier, the Meyer May House was purchased and meticulously restored by Steelcase and opened to the public in 1987. Today, complete with original furnishings and faithfully executed reproductions, the Meyer May house provides the rare opportunity to experience a Prairie house exactly as Frank Lloyd Wright intended.
The Steelcase and Frank Lloyd Wright connection began in 1936 when Steelcase was contracted to manufacture Wright-designed furniture for the Johnson Wax Administration Building in Racine, Wisconsin. Additionally, the Meyer May House is owned and maintained by Steelcase today.
There is no charge to tour the house and view the film, The Renewing of a Vision. Please allow 90 minutes to enjoy the complete experience.
Take an online tour of Wright’s Meyer May House through the website gallery.
Take a Tour in Person
Visit the Meyer May house at:
450 Madison Avenue SE,
Grand Rapids, MI 49503
Free street parking is available on Logan Street and on Madison Avenue.
- Sundays from 1–4 PM
- Tuesdays & Thursdays from 10 AM–1 PM
- Closed on Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays, and Saturdays
- Please review 2019 Closed Dates* & Weather Notice** before visiting
Large Group Visits and Reservations
- Reservations are only required for groups of 10 or more.
- For group reservations of 10 or more, write to us using Contact Us.
- Reservations are not needed for individuals or smaller groups.
Accommodations and Accessibility
- The Meyer May House is a historical building and provides wheelchair accessibility to the Visitor’s Center and the main floor of the Meyer May House. The upper floor is only accessibly via the stairs.
- Reservations for individuals, families and groups requiring assistance are recommended so that we can be ready and provide the best experience for you.
- Strollers are not allowed into the House or the Visitor’s Center.
*2020 closed dates include Easter Sunday (April 12), Mother’s Day (May 10), Memorial Day Weekend (May 24), Father’s Day (June 21), Independence Day Weekend (July 5), Labor Day Weekend (September 6) and Thanksgiving (November 26).
**Closings due to Weather: During the winter months, the Meyer May House will be closed when Grand Rapids Public Schools is closed. Please watch WOODTV8, WZZM TV13 and Fox 17 for closing announcements.