History Gallery

Designed for a progressive and prominent Grand Rapids clothier, during the decades after the Meyer May house was completed it changed significantly and deteriorated slowly. A large addition was made in 1921 to accommodate May’s growing family, and in the mid-1960s the house became a multi-unit rental with carports and extra entrances. In 1987 Steelcase fully restored it to Wright’s original design, preserving the house exactly as he intended.

The Meyer May House (1909-1987)

01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 12 13 14 15 16